Sharing a notice from the Neighborhood Commission Chairperson on the proposed changes to the 2008 Neighborhood Plan and upcoming opportunities to submit comments.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, by its chairperson, of public hearings to be conducted by the Neighborhood Commission of the City and County of Honolulu, pursuant to Section 91-3 and 92-41, Hawaii Revised Statutes, and Sections 4-105.4, 13-106 and 14-104, of the Revised Charter of the City and County of Honolulu 1973 (2000 Edition), as amended, for the purpose of receiving public testimony on a proposal to amend the 2008 Neighborhood Plan as follows:
1) 2-11-203 – Allows a board to assign a third member to attend the conference of chairs if one of the three also is a Neighborhood Commissioner.
2) 2-11-308 – Deletes sections on quorum and majority voting that conflict with HRS.
3) 2-11-319 – Replaces RONR with parliamentary rules adopted by the Commission.
4) 2-13-105 -Amends Plan to require board members to recuse themselves if they have a financial conflict.
5) 2-13-107 – Requires board members to publicly post one type of contact information.
6) 2-14-102 – Changes board members terms to expire in even number years. Allows the Commission to extend an existing term as necessary in order to achieve this.
7) 2-14-104 – Requires a nomination in order for a qualified resident to be considered for appointment to a vacancy. Clarifies when the verification of a possible nominee for a vacant seat must occur. Allows the Commission to fill a vacant seat if the vacancy interferes with the board taking action in three successive meetings. Requires a roll call vote for filling a vacancy with each member stating the name of the nominee they cast their vote for.
8) 2-14-106 – Clarifies action to declare a seat vacant must occur in the same term in which the absences occurred. Clarifies that three absences accumulates from the start of the term or the date of appointment. Prohibits sending a three absence letter at the end of the term. Clarifies what the board must do for it to have considered vacating a seat. Makes a resignation effective when received by the Executive Secretary.
9) 2-14-111 – Requires committee agendas to be filed 7 days prior to the meeting.
10) 2-14-115 – Requires roll call votes for election of officers or filling of vacancies.
11) 2-14-118 – Specifies that abusive language constitutes a breach of order and decorum. Requires that public testimony be allowed at the time the board considers an agenda item.
12) 2-14-124 – Deletes section which conflicts with HRS that defines majority vote. Makes the board chair a non-voting ex-officio member of all board committees.
13) 2-17-202 -Defines active voter for purposes of pre-registration.
14) 2-17-203 – Deletes the provision which allows someone to change their board residency after the voter registration deadline.
15) 2-17-204 – Requires that a candidate who fails to indicate at-large or subdistrict on their registration form to be automatically listed as a subdistrict candidate.
16) 2-18-101 – Makes committee members subject to sanctions.
The time and dates of the hearings are:
September 10, 2016 (Saturday), 10:00-11:00 am
Mission Memorial Hearing room (ground floor)
550 South King Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
September 10, 2016 (Saturday), 10:00-11:00 am
Kapolei Hale – Conference Room A
1000 Uluohia Street
Kapolei, HI 96707
All interested persons shall be afforded the opportunity of being heard. Any interested person desiring to be heard or to submit information, data, views or arguments on the proposed amendments at the public hearing is requested to register at the public hearing site beginning thirty (30) minutes prior to the starting time of the public hearing, as specified above, and is encouraged to submit twelve (12) copies of their testimony or statements in writing at the same time. All speakers will be limited to a three (3) minute presentation.
Anyone unable to attend the public hearing may file a written statement addressed to: Testimony, Attention Chairperson, Neighborhood Commission, 530 South King Street, Room 406, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Written statements must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016.
Any disabled person requiring accommodations at these hearings may call the Neighborhood Commission Office at 768-3710 for details at least 72 hours prior to the hearing.
A copy of the proposed rule amendments will be mailed to any interested person who requests a copy, pays the required fees for the copy and the postage, if any. Requests must be in writing and may be sent to Neighborhood Commission Office, 530 South King Street, Room 406, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813.
The proposed rule amendment may be reviewed in person at the Neighborhood Commission Office, 530 South King Street, Room 406, Mondays thru Fridays between 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Should the Commission accept the amendments, it will become effective as provided for by law.
By: Russell Yamanoha