Windy Conditions Prompt Park Closure

28 02 2018

The strong winds today have resulted in fallen trees around the island and the closure of a Department of Parks and Recreation facility.

A large portion of an opiuma tree fell at Kaiaka Bay Beach Park near the soccer field. The fallen segment is not obstructing any other passageways or park facilities. At Kapiolani Park, two kiawe trees fell near the Diamond Head tennis courts, one of which fell onto a light pole. In all three situations no injuries to people were reported.

Additionally, Wahiawa Botanical Garden is closed today, 2/28/18, due to strong winds creating hazardous conditions.

Currently there are no reports of damage associated with the strong winds, but on-site botanical garden staff reported increasing wind speeds throughout the morning.

Staff will reassess the conditions tomorrow morning to determine whether it is safe to reopen.

The 27-acre Wahiawā Botanical Garden is normally open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Division of Urban Forestry crews are also addressing two fallen Ironwood trees at Kailua Beach Park.

Kaiaka Bay Beach Park Camping Permits

24 03 2017

The Kaiaka Bay Beach Park comfort station has been repaired and is now open to the public. Security cameras have been installed outside of the restrooms and will record everyone that enters and exits the building. The cameras send real time data back to a server and the video footage would still be available to the Honolulu Police Department even if the cameras were vandalized.

Now that the comfort station is open, camping permits are available to the public. To reserve a camping area, click here. You will need to create an account to reserve a site. Permits are released two weeks in advance, on a first-come first-serve basis on Fridays at 5 p.m. Camping at Kaiaka costs $52 dollars for five nights, Friday night through Wednesday morning, at $10/day plus $2 fee (shorter stays are not accommodated, you have to pay the full $52 for the weekend).

Dedicated to Bill and Peggy Paty

21 03 2014

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Dedicated to Bill and Peggy Paty for their extraordinary community service and their passionate crusade to establish Kaiaka Bay Beach Park

This monument is dedicated to Bill and Peggy Paty, outstanding citizens of the North Shore community in appreciation for their humanitarian contributions to the community over the years, including the preservation of the shoreline property adjacent to Kaiaka Bay.

Born on January 22, 1921, William W. Paty, Jr. (Bill) attended Punahou School where he met his future wife, Marguerite M. Kellerman (Peggy). After graduating from Cornell University, Bill joined the 101st Airborne Division during World War II and received a Purple Heart and Bronze Star for his service. During that time Peggy was working as the chief hostess for Continental Airlines in Denver, Colorado.

Bill and Peggy married on September 4, 1945, and settled in Waialua, where they raised five children, and where Bill worked for the Waialua Sugar Company for 38 years. He served as president of the historic 1978 Hawaii Constitutional Convention, helping to shape Hawaii’s water code and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs. He also chaired the State Board of Land and Natural Resources from 1984 to 1992 and continued to serve for many years as a trustee for the Mark A. Robinson Trusts.

Prior to World War II, the parcel now known as Kaiaka Bay Beach Park was owned by Bishop Estate and leased to Palama Settlement. With sweeping views of the Waianae Mountain range, nestled in a secluded area between Waialua and Haleiwa, the area was used for recreation activities and called the Palama Fresh Air Camp. It was also used by the Aloha Council of the Boy Scouts of America where a number of scouts earned their Eagle Scout badge including the oldest Eagle Scout in the Council—Waialua’s own Bill Paty, who earned his badge in 1934.

When the tsunami of 1946 washed away the cabins and dining facility, Palama chose not to renew the lease and the land was then used by farmers and the occasional camper. When a local developer offered to purchase the parcel from Bishop Estate with the intention of building a condominium complex and golf course, the community rose in opposition. Several community leaders dedicated themselves to raise the then market price of $1.3 million to purchase the land from Bishop Estate.

Peggy Paty was at the forefront of this effort that also included Waialua Sugar Company engineer Fred Gross and legislative liaison Tommy Lee. State Representative Ollie Lunasco of Waialua and Representative Howard Oda of Wahiawa took the request for funding to the Hawaii State Legislature where it was met with strong resistance from other lawmakers; however, with the assistance of then Senator Donald Ching, the money was appropriated by the Legislature and signed into law by Governor George Ariyoshi in 1974.

Through the perseverance and determination of Peggy and her group, Kaiaka Bay Beach Park became the first ocean park to be acquired and developed by the State. In 1979, under Executive Order, the City was granted custody of the park until ownership was officially transferred to the City in 1992.

Both Bill and Peggy Paty have received numerous awards and commendations in their lifetime for their civic involvement and service to the community including recognition as the North Shore Kamaaina of the Year by the North Shore Chamber of Commerce for Peggy in 2004; recognition as the Pacific Business News Lifetime Achievement Award for Bill in 2008; and state proclamation by Governor Linda Lingle of “Bill and Peggy Paty Day” on June 16, 2007.

On August 17, 2011, the City Council of the City and County of Honolulu, under the leadership of the Council member of the district, Chair and Presiding Officer Ernest Y. Martin, adopted a resolution to rename a portion of Kaiaka Beach Park, bestowing upon Bill and Peggy Paty a well-deserved recognition of their perseverance and vision. The Bill and Peggy Paty Kaiaka Bay Beach Park is more than a tribute to the Patys; it is also a sincere mahalo from the entire community for two people who have given so much of themselves for their beloved North Shore.

Join Council Chair Ernest Martin at the Bill and Peggy Paty Sign Dedication

27 02 2014

Bill and Peggy Paty Sign Dedication Flyer